Friday, June 21, 2013

Two times a charm

First off, my apologies for not posting yesterday. When we arrived at our next lodging, we found out they had no wifi. Only dial up. No TV either. Not much of anything other than a very nice looking log style lodge and a quiet setting...too quiet. We were the only ones booked there. It was deathly quiet. We felt totally cut off. Couldn't let our kids know where we were. 
The lodge was way down some gravel road away from anything that resembled civilization.

Anyway, we did go back to the fjord tour, hiked 3 km down the path on a clear sunny day. Had a wonderful boat tour to experience some great scenery and hiked 3 km out again.








We grabbed a bite and headed down the road. Five and a half hours later we reached the solitude of Blue Water Lodge and Retreat.

The owner said the reason they built the place was for people to get away from it all and just sit and relax. Which is all fine and good for those that like to do that sort of thing. The problem being, I'm way to a-d-d for that and I'm totally hooked on being hooked up. That's how I unwind at the end of the day. I read articles, I look at photos and how they were done. I post pictures and this blog. I was starting to panic. Somehow sitting out on the deck, with no music, no anything and having mosquitoes gnaw at my flesh didn't seem all that appealing. Ok, so there aren't that many mosquitoes but you get the idea.

There were some important emails that had to go out yesterday so the owner was kind enough to allow me to use his laptop to get that done. Dial up is something I started with years and years ago. I'd forgotten how slow it is.
One also has to change the settings so that all the graphics don't load or you'd be there forever or at least until you needed another haircut.
Anyway, we got that done. Arlene and I sat in the lounge area and listened to each other breathe. I tried editing pictures, but the silence was deafening. I was afraid to...well you guys know...for fear of having it reverberate throughout the lodge. Did I mention we missed supper and there was no offer for food? My stomach does funny things when it's empty.

We had to head out early to catch a 10 am boat tour in Twillingate which was about 90 min away given that you can only go 60-80 km/h on most roads in the area. They wind in and out of some very picturesque fishing communities so going slow is really not that bad a thing.

The owners of the lodge insisted we could have breakfast at 8, leave at 8:30 and still get there for 10.
As my family knows, I hate arriving 'just in time' for anything. Especially if I'm not sure where we're going or completely clear on the way to get there. I like to leave room for error. At the very least we'd need time to pick up our tickets and get organized.

Now to be totally fair, the lodge does look very nice, is neat as a pin, has some nice flowered paths and a great looking deck. The hosts were trying to accommodate as best they could I guess. If we hadn't had the agenda we had, we probably could have enjoyed the setting. But no wifi? The place just wasn't in sync with what we like to do.

We did make it to the next boat tour, we did see more whales and some great scenery, we are in our next lodging and they DO have wifi. Things are getting back on track. 

No real plans for tomorrow other than to relax, edit pictures and poke around a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment